Let’s face it, there is only one manufacturer that can create mass adoption of NFC services and devices, they are called Apple.
The NFC market today is in its infancy, a few shops are installing terminals BUT I guarantee you that if the following patents filed by Apple are due to appear in the next iPhone, then we’ll see the rapid uptake of contactless technology by retailers, appliance manufacturers and rivals. This is going to be BIG.
We are talking about handset manufacturers redefining mobile advertising here. What kind of things could happen?
- NFC enabled TVs – TV shows and adverts will become interactive. See a product you like? Just move your phone over the TV or remote and get more info/coupons/store directions right on your handset
- Apple enable mobile banners in Safari to have ‘Click to coupon’ functionality – meaning that offers and coupons from what you see online can go directly into your phones ‘wallet’ which can be redeemed at shops.
But forget payments for a moment, NFC allows you to do some incredible creative interactions with interfaces. Check out the patent diagrams that Apple have filed which show some cool executions:
- Using the accelerometer on the handset to change the orientation of what’s on the Macbook screen.
- Lock and unlock your Macbook using your iPhone.
- Unlock doors using iPhone as a keycard
And this is just tip of the iceberg stuff, can you imagine the ways developers and brands will use this? I previously thought this would feature in the iPhone in 2011, but if this happens in the summer it’s bloody exciting.ElectricPig] (Great blog)